For the 10th year in a row, Ace Hardware has ranked “Highest in Customer Satisfaction among Home Improvement Retail Stores,” according to J.D. Power.* To celebrate, we’re sharing 10 of our Ace Center for Excellence speakers’ customer service tips in a two- part series. Here are the first five:
1) Define your business purpose in a meaningful way. Ask yourself what your business stands for beyond making money, and galvanize your team around that idea or initiative. People want to be about something more than money.
John Venhuizen, President and CEO, Ace Hardware Corp.
2) Focus on the customer, not the money. Stop trying to get what you want and focus on helping your customers get what they want.
Tom Knox, President and CEO – Westlake Ace Hardware
3) Be a committed learner. Ask your customers and your team for feedback.
Lou Manfredini, Ace’s Home Expert and Ace Retailer – 2-store chain
4) Be easy to do business with. If you have policies that don’t make things easier for the customer, rethink them.
Gina Schaefer, Ace Retailer – 11-Store Chain
5) One to say yes, two to say no. Create a rule that your staff members can’t say “no’ to a customer’s question without double checking with at least 1 other person.
Art Freedman, Ace Retailer and Author
*Ace Hardware received the highest numerical score among retail stores in the proprietary J.D. Power 2016 Home Improvement Retail Store StudySM. Study based on responses from 2,995 consumers measuring six stores and opinions of consumers who purchased a home improvement product or service within the previous 12 months. Proprietary study results are based on experiences and perceptions of consumers surveyed January-February 2016. Your experiences may vary. Visit jdpower.com.