We selected 10 customer service tips (shared in a series of 2 articles) to celebrate Ace’s decade of ranking “Highest in Customer Satisfaction with Home Improvement Retail Stores,” according to J.D. Power.*
Try these award-winning tips from successful entrepreneurs and executives at Ace who speak from success about how to develop a culture that amazes every customer every time:
1) Have a small business mindset. Big business routinely leads to bureaucracy which shackles people. Small business is informal, and informality unleashes inventiveness.
John Venhuizen, President and CEO, Ace Hardware Corporation
2) Trust your team to learn from their mistakes. To earn customers trust, establish a trusting relationship with your employees and colleagues.
Tom Knox, President and CEP, Westlake Ace Hardware
3) Be part of something bigger than yourself. Find a cause that’s important to support and inspire your team and your customers to become part of it.
Lou Manfredini, Ace’s Home Expert and Store Owner
4) Adapt and differentiate. If we stuck with the conventional wisdom, we’d have missed opening what is now our fastest growing store in the chain. To be where our customers are, we’ve had to embrace unconventional locations, spaces and offerings.
Gina Schaefer, Owner, A Few Cool Hardware Stores
5) To be the best place to do business with, you have to be the best place to work for. If you want employees to care, recognize good behavior, share your vision, make sure your team knows how important they are.
Art Freedman, Ace Retailer and Author
*Ace Hardware received the highest numerical score among retail stores in the proprietary J.D. Power 2016 Home Improvement Retail Store StudySM. Study based on responses from 2,995 consumers measuring six stores and opinions of consumers who purchased a home improvement product or service within the previous 12 months. Proprietary study results are based on experiences and perceptions of consumers surveyed January-February 2016. Your experiences may vary. Visit jdpower.com.